Monday, March 26, 2012

A Buggy Spring 

    We've been studying bugs in our reading theme. To finish off the theme, the class has been making bug projects to go along with it. I usually do a large version of the dragonflies to go along with the theme, but decided to miniaturize them this year to fit on my bulletin board. I kept the googly eyes the same size though and I put them on glue dots prior to completing the project to make it easier for the kids to stick onto the project. To make sure both wings are the same size, I trace the wings on one sheet and staple a second sheet to it so the kids cut two out at the same time. 
    I also do a large version of the bumblebees with hearts for Valentine's Day that I altered for this bulletin board. I don't have all the bees hanging on the board yet. Since I don't usually see grasshopper crafts, and I really wanted a grasshopper on the board, I designed the grasshoppers to go along with the theme this year. I drew a pattern for the body and then traced four on a white sheet of paper which I copied onto bright lime green copy paper I bought last year. This worked great! It did take me awhile to get the wings of the grasshopper to look right, but I was happy with the way they turned out in the end. I then used the same pattern to trace the wings of the bees out of wax paper. So the pattern came in handy. The class has enjoyed making the bug crafts, although they complained that they wanted to give our ladybugs legs and wings. Maybe next year, I'll alter it some. I found the snail project online and I love how easy it was to make. Actually all of the crafts in here were extremely easy to make. We'll be making our butterflies this week although they won't be going on the board. 






No comments:

Post a Comment